2013 finalist Juan Martin Del Potro has pulled out of the BNP Paribas Open 2014 Indian Wells on Sunday due to an ongoing problem with his left wrist. The Argentine said that it still affects and decided it’s best to withdraw following doubles round loss to Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor. Del Potro played doubles with Marin Cilic.
“It’s still hurting a lot,” said del Potro. “I’m not feeling 100 per cent. I’m not in good condition to compete.”
The 25-year-old was a runner-up at this ATP Masters 1000 event last year and will lose significant ranking points after the tournament. He was replaced by lucky loser James Ward who will face Feliciano Lopez in the second round.
“I feel the same pain every day and it bothers me a lot,” he said. “I’m trying to be very careful.”
World No. 7 retired from the same problem at the Dubai Tennis Championships more than a week ago. It is still unknown whether he will undergo surgery to correct the problem but he’s undergoing therapy for it.