Spaniard David Ferrer produced the biggest upset at the Monte Carlo Masters 2014 tournament after he defeated eight-time champion and world number one Rafael Nadal in their quarterfinal match on Friday with a convincing 7-6, 6-4 scoreline.
“It is special,” said Ferrer. “Last time I beat Rafael on a clay court was 10 years ago. I had to wait 10 years to beat him on a clay court! I am happy because I am in the semi-final and because I am playing very good this week. Maybe this week, it was my best week of the season.”
Up next for Ferrer is Australian Open 2014 champion Stanislas Wawrinka after the latter defeated Milos Raonic earlier in the day.
“It’s going to be a tough match, sure,” said Ferrer. “Stan is playing unbelievable this season with a lot of power in his shots. I have to play similar like today or yesterday to have a chance.”
Nadal shared his thoughts about the loss.
“Losing hurts everywhere. On clay always a little bit more,” said Nadal. “I am not happy today about what I did. Not very happy about the way that I played the second set after losing the first. I didn’t play with the right intensity at the beginning of the second. I give him big opportunity at the beginning of the second. I cannot do that.”